Permits & Construction Standards : Plumbing FAQ's

Plumbing Permit FAQs

Why do I need a permit?

  • Safety First Brushy Creek Municipal Utility District has jurisdiction over stormwater, water and wastewater. Cross contamination (untreated water mixes with treated water) can occur as a result of improper connections to the District’s water system and can subject residents to illness.
  • Permits protect you, your family and your investment. They help ensure that licensed contractors do the work when required.
  • Inspections ensure that work is done safely and meets minimum requirements.
  • Minor problems that could lead to costly repairs, liability and life/safety issues can be detected during permit inspections and brought to your attention before a situation worsens.
  • When selling a property, the buyer, realtor and/or lender may require that unpermitted work be corrected, properly permitted and inspected before closing.
  • Lack of permits and inspection approvals may void homeowner’s insurance.

Who can apply for a permit and how do I obtain one?

  • Licensed plumbers hired to complete work and are registered with the District can complete an application.
  • Homeowners that are doing work themselves can obtain a permit after discussing with the Permitting department. A friend, neighbor, tenant, general contractor or other person cannot legally do the plumbing work unless they are a licensed plumber working on behalf of a licensed plumbing contractor.

When do I need a permit?

When a property owner does "ordinary minor repairs" to plumbing systems on his or her own property which means repair, replacement, and/or maintenance of existing accessible fixtures, parts and appliances, and their related water and drain attachments:

  • Home Addition/Remodel or purposes of a permit with the District, a home addition or remodel consists of altering existing plumbing or adding new plumbing
  • New Building and Construction permit is required if plumbing or gas is included in the new structure
  • Water / Gas line Repair or Replacement to any exterior or interior lines, valves or drains (common example: stove gas line)
  • Water Heater for all repairs or replacement / Water Softener for all new installs or major repairs
  • Irrigation System Installation of new to ensure connection to main water source has been protected. When repairs are made an updated backflow test will be required 
  • Installation of Pool documents required including HOA (if applicable) approval required, set of plans showing pool location and any easements or setbacks on the property, inspections required if pool connects gas lines for heaters or to water service line for auto fill
  • Trail and Easement Access Permit required if using District property to access a work area for repairs, landscaping, or installation of any kind. Even if other permits are not required.

When is a permit not required?

  • For repairs which involve only working parts of a faucet, valves or clearance of stoppages provided alterations are not made in existing piping

What are the contractor requirements?

  • Plumber must be registered and current with the District and carry license as required by State or local law
  • Must obtain approval with other local entities and provide copies of all documents to the District, Example Sam Bass Fire and Compliance from Williamson County
  • Must ensure all inspections are called in and passed by the District and that all fees at the end of the job will be rendered prior to Certificate of Occupancy 

What are the homeowner requirements?

  • Must ensure inspections are called in and passed by District and that all fees at the end of the job are rendered prior to paying contractor or plumber. (same as contractor requirements)

How do I schedule an inspection?

  • Contact information for plumbing inspector assigned to job as well as other pertinent details can be found on the permit
  • When necessary there must be an adult over the age 18 present to allow the inspector inside the home
  • If work is being done in back yard a contractor or plumber may be required to be onsite during inspection